|Guided Herb Walk at Ganondagan State Historic Site|
If you are interested in the books referenced on our Herb Walk at Ganondagan State Historic Site on 9/22/12, here are their titles and authors. These books are available from any major book retailer.
- A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs: Of Eastern and Central North America by Steven Foster and James Duke
This is a wonderful field guide and the most highly suggested book for information on wild medicinal plants.
- Cherokee Plants: Their Uses: A 400 Year History by Paul Hamel and Mary Chiltoskey
Many of the plants in use by the Cherokee also grow in the Northeast.
- Newcomb’s Wildflower Guide by Lawrence Newcomb
This book has an identification key based upon flowers and leaf structures. It is an excellent reference for determining identification.
- Wildflowers of New York in Color by William Chapman
A guide with color photographs to compliment other guides.
- The Herb Book: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to More Than 500 Herbs by John Lust
Includes usage information for many common western herbs.
- Invasive Plant Medicine: The Ecological Benefits and Healing Abilities of Invasives by Timothy Lee Scott
If you are interested in the information shared about the Autumn/Russian Olive tree/bush, this is the book the information was from.
- A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America by Lee Allen Peterson
An wonderful compliment to herbal references on wild medicinal and food plants.